Academic budget cuts heavily affect performing arts, in turn affecting the education of our youth.
The performing arts seem the first to go in budget cuts. Many don’t realize it’s one of the most important parts of a school. All forms of art, including the performing arts, are beneficial to school-aged youths for development. Performing arts gives them a creative outlet to unwind and focus on a section of their brain that does not get used often enough in a structured academic setting.
The article below from EHow.com takes a closer look on how the performing arts can benefit kids in school, and why the performing arts should be preserved for the sake of education.
Why Is Performing Arts Important in School?
Schools throughout the country currently have or are implementing performing arts programs. The allure of theater, dance, film, music and other forms of arts is that these activities allow children to express themselves in a safe, positive medium. Lifelong appreciation for art in many forms is cultivated through a school’s performing arts program.
Exposure to Art Through Performing Arts
- A school’s performing arts program exposes students to theater, dance, music and other forms of art. Without the existence of a performing arts program, students would have to venture outside of their everyday routine, and this would make the probability of them discovering an appreciation of fine arts more unlikely than if they attended a school that has a performing arts program.
Performing Arts Programs Provide Opportunities For Students
- The performing arts program helps hone the skills of young performers so that they will be prepared for the competitive world of performance. Schools such as Juilliard and Professional Performing Arts High School are geared toward this very purpose. They offer students exposure to acting, music, painting, printmaking and other facets of art. Students at these schools are held to a very high standard much like professional performers in the everyday world.
Performing Arts Encourage Academic Discipline
- There are certain academic requirements that students must fulfill to be eligible to participate in performing arts. This encourages students to balance and prioritize their tasks so that they may reach their goals. Typically, the discipline needed to succeed in the arts is mirrored in academics. If a student cannot cultivate the ability to study lengthy materials in English class, he may not have the capability to study a work of Shakespeare in drama class. The usual grade requirement is a C average, which is attainable for most students who are willing to apply themselves in schoolwork.
Performing Arts Programs Provide a Medium for Self-Expression
- By tapping into latent creativity, children can express their emotions in a healthy and creative way. The teenage years can be especially high-stress times, with college looming in the horizon and everyday teen pressures weighing on the young mind. Self-expression is something that teens can have difficulty with when they are unhappy and frustrated, with no outlet other than violence. The evolution of performing arts has allowed for positive self-expression even among troubled youth. There are even performing arts for the the incarcerated youth, as it promotes a positive way to relieve angst and displaced anger. This program has seen positive progress and has the potential to give anyone who is willing a second chance at life through art.
Performing Arts Programs Facilitate Parent Involvement
- Often, students in performing arts programs are encouraged to involve their parents and seek their help. This is a great way to involve parents in the lives of their children. Parental involvement in the arts provides opportunities for the child and parent to bond.
The positive influence performing arts has on students is important for more than a straight-laced academic route. The performing arts caters to creating well-rounded individuals who are able to express themselves freely.
Feeling a need for some evidence on the importance of the performing arts, or just looking for a good show? Beechwood Hotel in association with Hanover Theater is showing various plays and musicals every week. Enrich your life with the performing arts at the Beechwood Hotel. Please feel free to call if you have any questions or concerns!